Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mid-year Resolution

Well, the title tells it all, right?

A quick browse through the calender has brought to my attention the fact that I'm actually leaving Malaysian soil in something like two months, and actually furthering my studies in the States. I should say its pretty much a dream come true, as I used to want to go to the States, at least before Bush come into the picture. Nevertheless, my desire has been re-ignited, what with the recent change shown by the Obama administration. But I digress. This post shall not be about the States or anything else for the matter, but rather what I want to do before I fly off.

Learn to drive
Everyone knows how much I talk about my driving (or rather, my lack of it). Truly, I seriously want to actually start driving, but my parents are hard to be convinced. Apparently, my father STILL does not trust my driving skills enough for me to drive alone. Hopefully, within these two months, I'll be able to convince him otherwise...or I'll just have to sneak off to drive in the States...:-p.

The reason why I want to drive is apparent, all my friends are driving, and I'm kinda envious of the freedom having a car and the means of driving grants. Besides, I still want to prove what two of my *friends* wrong and show them that I can drive too!

Learn to play the piano
Ah, the shocker, I guess. Well, those who know me from young who remember me as the person who complained the most about how having three sisters learning to play the piano is detrimental to one's ears and mental health. Well, if they could only play like how Nodame or Chiaki plays, I would not have formed such a bad impression on that musical instrument.

Perhaps its just a fancy wish, but I would like to say that I can play a musical instrument at the very least. My sister says learning a guitar by oneself is easier than the piano, but I feel that the piano sounds better...or maybe its because there was not any guitar instrument in Nodame Cantabile...:-).

I've actually taken to getting materials on how to learn the piano, but I've yet to print them and actually practised on the piano. The former I blame on my laziness, the latter on the questions I'm bound to face by my very, very busybody parents. Sigh.

Exercise
Well, if the previous resolution did not kill any of you, this would. Haha. I've lost all motivation to keep my insane schedule I had in INTI. Gone are the days where I would force myself up to jog. I bet all my hard-earned stamina has dissipated and now replaced by the layers of fat surrounding my tummy.

Well, I guess the blame can be shifted a little to my mum who cooks good food; food which leads me to eat until three helpings of rice and rice = carbohidrates = fat. Ah well. I just hope I can regain my motivation in time, so that I would not look like an overweight nerd with crazy hair. Wait, I'll then look like Albert Einstein! ;-p.

Write at least an hour daily
I'm sure everyone knows about my obsession with the written word. If not, kindly read my blog post entitled Words. Hehe. Thus, to implement all that I've said there, I would need constant practice. I've been distracted lately with good mangas, animes, dramas and fanfiction, but I really need to buck up if I want to improve. *Must work hard!*

Start reading the newspapers from page to page
To be well-informed enough with the world to at least be able to converse with my friends on whatever topic they want; a dream. To achieve that dream, I've to learnt to start reading newspapers thoroughly. I tend to skip to eye-catching topics, leaving me woefully inept in having diverse conversations with my friends.

Perhaps I should dedicate an hour or so as well to accomplish this resolution.

Start following the resolutions I draw up
Ah, the age-old resolution. I'm certain I've added this resolution to all my other resolutions, but like usual, this is always the first one I break...:-p. Hence, by actually posting this, I hope I can motivate myself ENOUGH to NOT break it this time. I most certainly need the self-discipline it instills, for I can't keep screwing up in the States like how I screwed up in INTI. Hehe.

Well, those are all my resolutions for this mid-year session. I really hope I can keep them. I'll update you guys on the state of my resolutions next week. Till then, cheer me on!

5 comments:

  1. Love your last resolution and wish i could do the same..

    I wish my parents would let me drive too but I am gonna sneak off driving my father's car no matter what..

    Good luck with piano man while I learned art is the thing for me

    Your obsession with words is quite obvious and very admirable too..

    Good luck with reading newspapers.. I have been procrastinating a lot on that issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahem...the newspaper influence..could it be from me? I remembered a few times when you were impressed I knew something and my reply was I got it from the papers!!!

    yea, the driving. Apparently the Jan sem driving to campus never worked out. ITULAH. Thats why no GF till now. Proves that Tamil is right. Hahaha...

    the exercise..go enrol in a gym. Learn frm Jay, Jia Min...or go help ur mom do housework and wash ur dad's car. Maybe if u show enough interest in his car...he'll allow you to drive.
    WHO knows he migth not let u drive cz he's afraid u'l wreck his car!

    and the piano arr..u damn disappointing la. I bet the piano is dusty, untouched. Why not learn a simply song and play it for ur graduate sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah... tot u can drive liao de...
    xD
    Maybe cos of u langgar tiang then fail one time your parents scare you did it again by langgar dunno what... wakaka
    me 2 my parents dun give me drive alone, but they say im better than my brother... LOL
    And NOW only u wanna learn play piano... haha. learn to get a gf right?
    And if im u, i will learn guitar cos it is more "portable" and easier to get GF...
    LOL
    Anyway, piano is easier to learn (i think) than guitar... and if u learn guitar yr finger will be damn sakit. so thats why i dont play guitar!
    Wakaka

    And reading newspaper from page to page... you should learn from andre cos at school when no teacher in class, the *only* (probably) thing he will do is read the star, hari hari the star...
    Oh ya, the other thing he will probably do is only go toilet with SH,KO and others... HEHE

    joshuatly2009

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, it's been a while since i've found any worthy piece of fanfiction to read. Mind favouriting those that you like? zzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheldon, you're mid-years resolution was months ago and no new posts. Have you gotten a new blog?

    ReplyDelete