Thursday, June 4, 2009

Friends

I originally meant to make it a habit to update at least once a day; if not to inform my dear beloved readers (in my case, it's actually just a single reader, as judged by the comments left) on my how-a-bouts but also to keep my writing in practice. Hence, this post, even though its still very early today (5/5/2009).

Last night, I went out and indulge myself in the very common Malaysian-esque practice of drinking tea (yamcha) though another friend and I were the only people drinking tea. It was a gathering of friends from my high school, so it was a reunion of sorts.

What amazed me the most throughout the entire duration (from 9.30 p.m. to 12 a.m. - that's why I did not answer any of the MSN) was that this was the crowd which I did not really fit it with during my school years. They were the chinese educated Bentongites, meaning they converse almost fully in Cantonese and are well-briefed in Mandarin. Thus, being the lone 'banana' amidst the crowd used to be unnerving and uncomfortable, to say the least. This led me to perfect my lone-wolf act during my teenage years, and garnering the moniker as a stuck-up dude as well.

But then, there I was, sitting and chatting amicably with the rest of them. Sure, we still have communication problems, but I've learnt more Cantonese since then and they've practiced a little more English. So, in a utter mix of Cantonese and English, we manage to carry on conversations pretty well. We chatted on alot of things, with them hounding me for a treat since I was flying soon, and a wide critique on recent movies, games and sports.

However, there were a number of silent intervals at which we were all looking for things to talk about. Perhaps it's just me, but I think that this unnatural periods were probably due to the lack of contact we maintain amongst each other when we are all separated and studying in our respective universities.

And I noticed as well that our interests probably diverged along the path to adulthood as well. Being so accustomed to discussing politics with my friends in INTI, I was a little surprised that the word politics was never even mentioned once throughout the two hours reunion. I guess the small-town kids really do have a different mode of thinking as compared to big-town kid :-).

Nevertheless, the reunion was still fun, and I'm looking forward to the next one when my friend comes back from U.K..

Before I take my leave for the day, a dedication to my friends:

What's more than a shadow,
That sticks by you from day to night,
And shares all your joy and your sorrow,
The wind that lets you take flight?

He is the helping hand,
She is the fellow fighter,
Your wounds they mend,
Your burden made lighter.

They are your friends.

Thanks for being a friend!

4 comments:

  1. what happened to "I originally meant to make it a habit to update at least once a day; if not to inform my dear beloved readers"?

    The Royal Highness MUST keep to his words!

    oh and "an dedication"? typo error maybe but it's fun to turn the tables at times! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Wait a sec larrr...haha...I'm trying to write a review...hmm...let's see the mistake be corrected! And thanks for spotting! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. (in my case, it's actually just a single reader, as judged by the comments left)

    well, you're wrong i suppose :P you've got another reader here other than sulin. ngehhehehhehe!!

    -kero-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...thanks for reading! Nice to know I've not been forgotten yet...:-).

    ReplyDelete